(Rental)-Half Court Sets For Must-score Situations
Josh Gamblin: Half Court Sets for Must-Score Situations
Think of all the times your team needed points in a crucial situation. Down three in the final seconds. Down two with an opponent at the free throw line. Successful coaches are prepared for these situations, and many more. In this video, Mid-America Christian University head coach Josh Gamblin shares a piece of his playbook offering up 10-plus offensive sets to provide you with multiple scoring options in those clutch situations.
Gamblin was the Rawlings NAIA Division I Coach of the Year in 2016 after leading Mid-America Christian to the NAIA Division I national championship. Gamblin learned from one of the best when he served as a graduate assistant at Oklahoma under Lon Kruger. Now in his fourth season at MACU, Gamblin is nearing 100 career wins, which can be attributed to his motion offense.
In this 51-minute video, Gamblin goes through a number of ways he sets up and disguises plays that he likes to use in late-game situations when his team needs points. He shares several of those methods in this segment including options like dribble hand offs, weak side flare screens, elevator screens, double staggered screens, and pin downs. Each set play has a variety of options too and is designed to take advantage of your players’ skill sets.
4 C Series
Coach Gamblin presents his base 4-out series flowing from the primary break. He goes through the counters and other adjustments that can be made depending on what a defense does. Gamblin teaches multiple actions out of the 4-out including:
- Get your best shooter open with a pick and pop with a strong 4 that can handle the ball or step outside and nail the 3-pointer.
- Take advantage of a big wing that hit 3-pointers from anywhere.
- Take advantage of an athletic 5 who has some shooting range and is able to score off the dribble after setting multiple screens.
The wave of the future is the 5-Out series where players are positionless and can play anywhere on the floor. Using the 5-Out forces defenses to defend the entire floor giving your team the opportunity to:
- Take advantage of your players’ individual abilities whether it be a post with long-range shooting ability or a big guard who can work in the post.
- Use ball screens to post up your best player and create flare action for your best shooter.
- Create mismatches off of a drive by your best ball handler or off a pin down for your best shooter.
With all of the counters and adjustments that Coach Gamblin provides, you will find any number of potential scoring plays that you can add to your offense. Coach Gamblin’s playbook rivals any big-time college program or even any NBA team’s best sets. With Gamblin’s help, you will leave opponents wondering what’s coming next!